Friday, February 24, 2012

Adorable Little Shoo-Fly Screen

So I came across this amazing tutoral and just had to share. This simple and amazing idea is from Pamela of Our Pioneer Homestead.

"So I have seen here- and- there, people with these litttle mini shoo-fly screens. They are too cute!!! Great for a shelf or cubby!!

-So I started out with a strainer. First, carefully, using a dull butterknife, (always work AWAY from yourself- your body, face, or other hand) I loosened the metal "track" beside the 2 hooks on the strainer. Just a bit.
-Then I forced them up and pried them out with the butterknife.
-Then, for the handle, the handle is in the track about 1/2 way around the diameter, so I loosened the metal track by sliding the dull knife in, and then sliding it along, prying slightly as I went. Once I removed 1 side of the metal handle, I could just pull out the other side.
-Using plyers and a tea towel, protect the track with the towel and press it closed with the pliers.(so not to have big marks.)

Now it is best to spray with metal primer. However, this is a little one is for me, not to sell, so I didn't prime.
-Using a stiff small brush (with tough bristles) using a SMALL amount of paint, stipple the color on. Some people use spray paint, but I find I was getting to many "squares" or"filled in mesh holes".
-If you are getting "squares" (filled in mesh holes) with this method, , use less paint, stipple and disperse until they dissapear, or use a stiffer brush. This is how I do it, but I am no expert. This is what I prefer.

Here it is done! I topped it off with a little antique handle! Once you make one of these little cuties, you will want them in every nook and cranny!"

Now why did I not think of this amazing idea? I am always looking at the antique ones which are insanely expensive! Great Idea Pamela!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh so cute!! But Wendy I hate to paint things!!! LOL I have seen these and they are adorable as is the name too!! XO Fran.

    ReplyDelete