Sunday, October 9, 2011

Kindergarten Basics......

It was a late night of making orders and I couldn't sleep. What else is new? haha So of course I jumped on the laptop and began surfing the web; mainly blogs. While searching randomly, I came across this great blog posting that I wanted to share. Lately it seems with all the changes etsy has been making that Etsy is the topic of choice. I often hear shop owners ask each other for advice on how to make their shop/business successful. Well, I'll let you read for yourself, but I thought this couldn't have been put any better!

Article by: Crimson Hill Soap

Would you believe me if I told you that everything you needed to know to run your business you learned in kindergarten? To a large degree, I find this to be very true. We learn educational, social and behavioral basics at the ripe age of 5 and carry these core values with us the rest of our lives.

Reading
Reading in the form of research is vital for the formation, implementation and successfulness of every business. I had to spend countless hours researching how to make soap, what natural ingredients I should use, FDA labeling guidelines, etc. By the end of my initial research, I felt like a chemist!

Writing
To have a thriving online business, you MUST become a good writer. Since customers can’t see, feel, smell or try-on your product, they have to rely on concise, smart and informative text to guide their purchase decision. When your customers are greeted to your website by incorrect grammar or typos, there is certainly no greater turn-off. Ya gotta kno what to say n’ how ta say it, ya no whut I mean?!

Color
Everybody remember the color wheel? Using color to grab a customer’s attention and direct their eye through your website is the key to pulling customers in to want to see more of your products. Vibrant, complementary and flowing colors will always win over a busy and disorganized color flow.

Play
Nicely With Others You will never hear me say a negative word about my competition. I find it to be tacky, unprofessional and shows that you lack confidence. Rather, if I am asked about a competitor’s product, I tell customers that I am confident in the quality and uniqueness of my products and that I won’t speak on another’s behalf. At craft shows, I chuckle when I see my competitors trying to “sneak” past my booth to view all my new products. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Homework
You must strive for continuous education and improvement in your industry. If you think you already know it all, you are dead wrong. Markets, niches, trends and economic factors are constantly changing and staying in tune with these changes is the key to long-term success.

Recess
This is important and often overlooked by adults. Take time to HAVE FUN. There is a reason that 5-year-olds need to go run and play for a bit after a few hours of work! Schedule breaks, time off, trips, etc….whatever you need to do to re-charge, unload, rest and clear your mind. Trust me, you will be energized and better equipped to handle your business affairs after “recess”.


I don't think that I could have stated any of the above in a more simple and understanding manner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment